Wednesday, April 1

Bloggy blog blog. Take 2.

Here's my second, and slightly more serious, installment of the Best of Blogs assignment.

WatchBlog: Political News, Opinion & Commentary
I don't formally categorize my political views (if you can call them that), so the appeal of this website can be readily evident at the first glance of it's home page. The fact that this blog presents a breakdown of the three major political affiliations, in glorious contrasting colors, is a very unique and refreshing idea.

I suppose, since this blog is the result of multiple editors, I assume each assigned to their own political views, I feel that this would be best executed if each of the editors covered the same topics per blog and presented them across the spectrum.

However, as far as I can tell, that's not what's being done on this blog, so I feel like it is a good start but can be taken to another level of balanced coverage.

Another plus for this blog is that is has short and consistent posts, with links to the remainder of the commentary, so that a reader can navigate multiple topics with ease.

Recovering Journalist
I suppose after two semesters of newspaper and magazine design/layout courses, despite my fascination with color, I enjoy this blog because it follows a cardinal rule of page design: "white space is your friend."

On the most superficial level, I am attracted to this blog because it is simple, clean and well organized.

As for substance, Mark Potts takes news related to the field of journalism and adds his own humor and poignant commentary, which is a knockout combination for me.

The Daily Gut: A Handkerchief of Hard News Soaked in a Sneeze of Thought Snot

First off, the subhead for this blog is fantastic.

This guy is truly creative with his daily "Gregalogues" and I am definitely a fan of his organization by colors within his sidebar.

However, I find his plain text as a font, like you see in html code, very difficult to read--to the point where I just assume ignore whatever it is he has to say in this font.

This blogger too, much like Potts, takes real news content and draws his own conclusions about them with a smattering of sarcasm thrown in.

No comments:

Post a Comment